As the winter holidays approach, I'm always on the lookout for unique gift ideas for my stitching friends. Some of my pals are collectors and I love to surprise them with a new stitching toy, or with unusual stitching supplies.
Here's a list of my favorite, top-ten stitch-related gifts and handy notions, any of which would make a wonderful addition to a special friend's stitch basket.
1. Needle Minder - handy magnetic minders (shown) hold extra embroidery needles at the ready while working on a project.
2. Thread Keeper - made from shell, wood or plastic, these handy tools keep floss and other needlework thread from tangling.
3. Laying Tool - hand-turned wood, glass or bone laying tools are both useful and collectible.
4. Portable Lighting - allows the stitcher to work on their project just about anywhere, and the smaller sized options are easy to tote on trips. Pricey but worth it!
5. Gold-Plated Needles - plated needles glide through the fabric like a hot knife through butter and are perfect for stitchers with nickel allergies.
6. Magnifier - helps avoid eye strain while stitching, and several styles are available.
7. Fancy Embroidery Scissors - you can never have too many pairs of embroidery scissors, and the novelty shapes are collectible and fun to use.
8. Tiger Tape - a great stocking stuffer, tiger tape makes it easy to space stitches.
9. Specialty Threads - an assortment of luxurious embroidery threads in silk, bamboo or other unique or unusual fiber.
10. Handmade Item - something made by hand with love and care is always a welcome gift, and can be personalized for the recipient.