From Cheryl Fall, former About.com Guide
- Materials and Supplies for Embroidery
- Embroidery Stitches, Knots and Techniques
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Embroidery Questions
- Beginner Embroidery Basics
- Transferring Embroidery Designs to Fabric
- Embroidery Care, Conservation and Display Tips
- Embroidery Resources
Materials and Supplies for Embroidery
Embroidery is based on stitches worked on a fabric ground. Here you'll find links to the different types of fabric and threads for embroidery.
Embroidery Stitches, Knots and Techniques
Learn how to work the basic embroidery stitches, and how to properly use knots in an embroidery project.
- Alphabetical List of Embroidery Stitches
- Temporary Knots Used in Embroidery
- Crossed and Cross Stitches
FAQ - Frequently Asked Embroidery Questions
There's no such thing as a silly question. Find answers to frequently asked embroidery questions in this section. You may select the most common questions below, or visit the list of all embroidery FAQs if your question is not listed below.
- Are Water-Soluble Pens or Wash-Away Ink Pens Afe to Use?
- Does Embroidery Thread Have a Nap?
- My Thread Tangles - What Should I Do?
- What is a UFO?
Beginner Embroidery Basics
Embroidery is easier than you think, and is a great way to relax. Here are some tips and techniques that will help you get started with this wonderful hobby.
- Separating Strands of Floss
- The Top 20 Embroidery Mistakes
- Using a Needle Theader
- Edge Finishes for Embroidery Fabrics
Transferring Embroidery Designs to Fabric
There are several different ways of marking an embroidery design on fabric, and each person has their favorite. The choice of techniques can also often depend on the weight or color of fabric being used.
Embroidery Care, Conservation and Display Tips
Creating beautiful pieces of embroidered art is an investment not only in costly supplies, but time and energy as well. Following these tips will help keep your projects looking their best.
- Top Ten Tips for Keeping Embroidery Clean and Protected
- Embroidery Conservation Tips
- Dye Transfer and Bleeding
- What is Orvus Paste?
Free patterns, newsletters and forums for the embroidery enthusiast or beginner.